Who We Are
Girls on the Run® is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams.
Meeting twice a week in small teams of 8-20 girls, we teach life skills through dynamic, interactive lessons and running games. The 24-lesson curriculum is taught by certified Girls on the Run coaches and includes three parts: understanding ourselves, valuing relationships and teamwork and understanding how we connect with and shape the world at large.
Running is used to inspire and motivate girls, encourage lifelong health and fitness, and build confidence through accomplishment. Important social, psychological, and physical skills and abilities are developed and reinforced throughout the program. At each season’s conclusion, the girls and their running buddies complete a 5k running event which gives them a tangible sense of achievement as well as a framework for setting and achieving life goals. The result—making the seemingly impossible, possible, and teaching girls that they can.
At Girls on the Run of Los Angeles County, we believe…
- that every girl is strong, powerful and beautiful
- there are no limits to what a girl with confidence can achieve
- that every girl deserves the opportunity to pursue her goals and dreams
- that every girl is a winner
- that confident girls change their communities
- today’s healthy, happy girl becomes tomorrow’s strong, confident woman
- that every girl can benefit from GOTR
We believe that every girl
can embrace who she is,
can define who she wants to be,
can rise to any challenge,
can change the world.
We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum that creatively integrates running.
We envision a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams.
Empowerment, Responsibility, Intentionality, Diversity, Connectedness,
Joy, Optimism, Gratitude, Nurturing, Healthy, Open-hearted, Compassion
Our Core Values
Girls on the Run honors its core values. We strive to:
- Recognize our power and responsibility to be intentional in our decision making
- Embrace our differences and find strength in our connectedness
- Express joy, optimism and gratitude through our words, thoughts and actions
- Nurture our physical, emotional and spiritual health
- Lead with an open heart and assume positive intent
- Stand up for ourselves and others